Friday, February 6, 2009

Free Muesum Day

The first Thursday of the month in Seattle is free museum day. I really wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been yet and EMP was at the top of my list. Michele reluctantly agreed. We started our day out at the McMenamins Queen Anne happy hour. It was nice to just sit and read our books for a while.

I really don't like the work of Frank Gehry for the most part, EMP however is pretty cool and I guess I'm also partial to the Springfield Cultural Center/Montgomery Burns State Prison. Ok, I guess I like some of his furniture too, but seeing the Case Western building in person really solidified my hatred of his tendency to try and combine old with crazy to create something new.

Pictures aren't allowed in most parts of EMP, the guitar sculpture is fair game though, and nearly everybody I saw was taking advantage of it.

My favorite thing there was the the Hatch Show Print exhibit, there were some really impressive prints from the last hundred years.

Nice look at the Space Needle from just outside.


Today, Bellevue Art Museum is free, I'm kinda excited for that one too.

No comments: