Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Little History

Michele and I have been together now for 12 years. We met while in Americorps NCCC based out of Denver. She despised me at first, but I'm just so damn sexy, how could she resist? This post isn't really meant to be about Michele and I, more about where we met. I was digging around in our old photo boxes a few days ago looking for a specific picture to put up on Facebook and just started pulling out a bunch of pictures from that time that I really liked. Now I just feel like sharing.

These are not in any particular order.

Feb. 1997 - This was a a Boys and Girls Club overnighter about a month before we actually started dating but you can tell things were clearly set in motion already. I'm pretty sure it's the first picture ever taken of just the two of us.

Oct. 1995 - This was at the LSU geology camp in Colorado Springs, the sleeping arrangements were not all they were cracked up to be but we made the best of it. This lasted for about a week until a foot and a half of snow made it impossible to drive in, requiring us to hike about a mile through the snow to the camp to pack our stuff out.

Summer 1997 - Goddamn my hair looked glorious for a while there. This was during an Denver Urban Gardens/Colorado State University gardening with kids project.

Winter 1995/96 - Progress being made on the Aiken Canon visitor center for the Nature Conservancy. This was my first big project in the corps, for the most part it was a pretty good one.

Spring 1997 - Team photo taken in Lubbock, TX. We were there working for the South Plains Food Bank, mostly on the farm and in community gardens. I loved Lubbock, most people don't, I think it had a lot to do with the rock star treatment we got when we were there. Let's just say there are a lot of slow news days there.

July 1996 - The fourth. Tamara and I posing by a plaque nowhere near where we wanted to be. We spent much of the day looking for the South terminus of the Appalachian Trail, or locked out of our van at the South terminus of the Appalachian Trail. I should mention that we were in Atlanta for three months working in preparation for and during the Olympics. We also worked he Paralymipcs before heading home.

Fall 1996 - One of the few night I got stuck with desk duty. I was not meant to stay up for 24 hours at a time and my partner that night was find her own ways to keep herself entertained.

Summer 1997 - Our last day as corpsmembers. That's Michele, me, Loretta, and Johnny K. "the doctor of love" taken either right before or after our graduation ceremony.

No comments: