Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Batteries

I went out on a 7 mile 500 foot Volpe ride yesterday for the sole purpose of snapping some pictures. I only got a short distance from the house and took a couple of lousy pictures of my own shadow before the battery died. I was crouched down to get a shot of the wedding poem when I discovered the problem. Feeling a little dejected I continued on to Green Lake with the intention of riding the path around the lake. The path is divided but I saw no signs denoting where I should be so I rode on the side that all the wheeled transport seemed to be on. Turns out I was in the right place but headed the wrong direction. Some random guy yelled at me and for some unknown reason I fired back, "I'm a fucking pirate!" Freshly educated in the ways of the trail I promtly headed across the grass to the bike lane on the street. As far as my comment is concerned, it just came out of me, I'm not really sure why. It may have had something to do with the fact that I was sporting the pirate shirt that Rachel made for me.

Yuri's got me thinking about brakes again. The Volpe has stopped like shit since day one and since it's now my numero uno steed it might be time to address the problem. I shortened the cables and added the straddle rods the first day but it didn't make much of a difference. New pads will be the first step and we'll move on from there.

Michele came home around 7 or so from her first 12 hour day of what is sure to be just one of many over the next three years. Tonight she's got call for the first time which means 30 hours straight. I'm not going to see much of her for a while.

Last thing for tonight, with Michele and I both working again and both making more than either of us ever has before I find myself in the strange position of an unfamiliar tax bracket. I'm not saying that I'm going to go crazy spending everything I make but rather I'm thinking about the money that we need to pay back from Michele's education. Also, we can start maxing out the Roth IRAs which will be nice. Just think, three years ago I was delivering pizza making $3.15 an hour plus tips. Crazy.

No comments: