Friday, April 17, 2009

What's New?

I've been on the tank everyday for a week now and I'm loving it. It's only a 1/2 mile(exactly!) from my garage to the bike rack at school, seven times a week. I'd say I've got about 10 miles under my belt so far with on the new hotness. I'm going to eat through the back tire pretty fast the way I've been laying down patches, this sucker is a full on kick in the pants. So here's what I've done with the bike to date. Keep in mind that I don't really want to drop any more money on this bike, so it's all items from the garage at this point.

Sticker from a box of rice candy that I got at the market before seeing Fast & Furious this afternoon. Two crabs, I don't have a fucking clue what they're doing.

Squeaky post that came off of El M. not long after I got it. The throwback post that came with the bike was a bitch to adjust, so greased the hell out of old squeaky here and put it on. Still not completely silent but close enough.

Swapped the 32T ring that came with the bike for this 34T leftover from my ISIS days. Still a touch short but the 44T that was originally spec'd would be way too tall for the hills around here, not to mention the fact that I don't have one just laying around.

My Fast Freddie headset cap from way back, it was pulled from service before I even started this blog.

Crank Bros 5050s, I got them right about the same time I brought on the El M. The stockers had zero traction when wet. These grip solid regardless of conditions.

I cut up a length of chain that I used for locking up larger tools on the jobsite plus some of the 2" tubular webbing leftover from the kayak build and I've got myself something more practical that the 3 1/2' chain that came with the lock.

Ding ding bell. I found it in the parts bin when I was looking for the 34T ring. I don't ever remember even seeing this bell before. My guess is that it belonged to Mark and somehow ended up with my stuff in the last big move, it certainly wouldn't be the only bike related item that I got in the divorce.

I was really hoping that I could use my old Shadow Conspiracy chain, but as you can tell it's just too far gone. I'm not sure why it's still floating around if I'm not going to be able to use it, maybe some sort of craft project down the road.

I don't have a better seat in the pile but this one will work just fine as long as I don't start getting too ambitious with my riding of this beast. I also have a taillight but that's only on when I need it, no headlight except for an old undersized Planet Bike blinky, real headlight might help but I'm not sold on the need yet. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the tank, it serves it's purpose quite well and I can't see a reason that I'd ever need to walk to school again.

No comments: