Friday, January 5, 2007

Back in the saddle...

I got back on my bike today for a quick little solo spin around the preserves. I only logged 7 miles and 800 ft but I had to work for all of it. It started raining just before I pulled into the Dreamy Draw parking lot but it never got heavy and it ended after only 20 minutes or so. My arm felt pretty good with only a little pain when I was hitting rougher terrain at a higher speed. I was a little surprised at how gun-shy I was at a couple of the more technical spots where I normally do just fine. The Goat Camp incident put a little bit of a scare into me, not because I went over the bars, I do that all the time, but rather it's because it was the first time in a long time that I went over the bars and didn't land on my feet.

I amazes me how long it takes me to build up some semblance of a fitness level and how quickly it all goes down the tubes. Mountain biking is the only thing I enjoy that even resembles exercise, well I guess there is rowing and canoing, but without a rowboat or a decent place to take the canoe that leaves me with mountain biking. I didn't really do anything this week even close to exercise except for a quick 45 minute spin on the stationary bike in the workout room. I'm veering off on a bit of a tangent here but I'm convinced that whoever designed the goddamn seat on that thing had to be some kind of sadist, I couldn't hardly walk straight after less than an hour.

No comments: