Saturday, January 6, 2007

BCT Trail Day

No ride today, but I still got my workout. I got up at an ungodly hour this morning so that I could help out with the Black Canyon Trail building day. There were about 30 people there with the mountain biking contingent making up at least half our numbers. I left after about six hours so I could get back in Phoenix in time to be on call, but at the time I left we had constructed about 1/4 mile of some of the hardest trail I've ever had a part in building. It was about 1.5 mile hike out to where we worked. There were a couple of pack horses so that lightened the load that each individual needed to bring(BTW, no such luxuries when I was building trail back in my Americorps days). I spent the first couple of hours hauling rock to build up a 15 foot section that needed to be benched up approximately four feet. After that I worked on grooming some of the freshly cut in sections until lunch. After lunch I spent about 1.5 hours working an untouched section getting maybe 30 feet or so done before I headed back to the parking lot and driving the 45 minutes home. Now it's nap time.

No comments: