Thursday, February 22, 2007

Matching up


Well, it's official. Michele submitted her finalized match list for residency yesterday, only 15 minutes before the deadline, and in three weeks time we will know where we're going to be living for the next three years. For those not familiar with the process, let me give you the quick rundown. Michele submitted applications to the residency programs that she was interested in back in September. The programs sift through all the applicants and grant interviews to those people they are interested in. Michele interviewed at a number of places and she ranked, in order of preference, the programs she wants. The hospitals also rank the applicants and the whole thing gets plugged into an Apple IIe in some nerd's basement, and in three week it tells everyone where they're contractually obligated to go. I'm just guessing about the Apple IIe part, but that's the only reason I can figure why it takes three weeks. Anyway, the rank is done and here's how Michele ranked the programs(by location):

1. Seattle, WA
2. Seattle, WA
3. Vancouver, WA
4. Portland, OR
5. Spokane, WA
6. Phoenix, AZ
7. Scottsdale, AZ

Michele's a pretty strong applicant and it's likely that she'll end up with one of her top choices which means we're headed back to the Pac-NW. maybe.

The whole reason I bring this up is that I'm starting to get really excited. I like Phoenix alright but my job is really starting to wear thin on me and I feel like I'm starting to burn out, maybe it's just the illness speaking, oh yeah, I got it. My job pays fairly well but I'm on call 24-7 and I value my free time very highly. It's not that getting called out doesn't pay great, just the opposite. Emergency jobs pay a commission and can come in anywhere from $30 to $200 per hour depending on the job, it's just that I don't really care about the money all that much. I like to go home at the end of the day and completely forget about my job. I have no ideal idea what my ideal job is but I'm sure it doesn't pay well and there are no customers. I'm starting to wander a bit with my thoughts so I'm going to end it here, maybe I'll break it down a bit more in the next few bike free days.

1 comment:

JMH said...

I've lived in both Spokane (college-4 years) and Portland ('94-'99), but now call Massachusetts home. Portland is one of my favorite cities, great biking and outdoor opportunities (not to mention some great beer!), but there is something about Spokane that I will always love. Spokane will always live in the cultural rainshadow of Seattle and PDX, but there is access to some great snowboarding and biking, less of a hipster scene, and you gotta love the sun!