Monday, March 26, 2007

Dirt Trial


I was planning on taking Michele's bike out tonight to see what if anything I needed to address on the new fork. That's what I was planning anyway. I was standing there in the garage looking at her bike and I remembered that she's not going to be home for five weeks, so why the hell would I need to get this done today? So instead of doing today what could be done tomorrow I grabbed the Volpe and headed toward the preserves. I took side streets and paths all the way to the 32nd street entrance. I didn't do much in the way of difficult trail, I just skirted along behind the houses to the 40th lot, down to T-100, and across to Tatum. Back on pavement I took Tatum back down to the nearest set of side streets and back to the garage. I'm surprised at how well I felt, I expected a little residual soreness from Saturday, but nothing more than some light shoulder pain. The Volpe handled the dirt quite well. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable it was on all but the roughest bit of trail. Another interesting little nugget, if your no longer getting the looks you used to on your singlespeed, switch to a cross bike. People just don't know what to do when passed by skinnies on dirt. 800 feet of climbing in 21 miles total, 2.5 of those miles on dirt, all done in 1 hour 50 minutes.

No comments: