Sunday, March 18, 2007

Final day of the Fling

The Spring Fling had six different rides going today in three different locations. I'm done with driving distances this weekend so I chose the preserves over Goat Camp and Prescott. I'd have no problem hanging with a strong B group in my own backyard but I promised Sativa I'd show her the back way into the trails. So there I was leading a C group of three up and into the preserves. I was expecting to not feel so good but the burn was gone by the time I was out of the parking lot. The temperature was great, starting out in the high sixties and only warming up about ten degrees by the time we were done. I was feeling really fast the whole ride, often times getting a little further ahead than I feel is appropriate for a ride leader. It was the climbs where I was really pulling away with a quickness, on the single speed it's often easier for me to just hold a decent cadence regardless of grade, until I just can't hack it anyway. We had a flat on the return decent, the first for my Fling rides, but after a quick change we were quickly back underway. Our overall pace was rather slow, taking nearly two hours to cover the 8.4 miles and 850 feet.

All in all I'd say the Spring Fling was a great success and Kathleen did a great job pulling everything together. I'm going to see what I can do to try and make it back for future Flings.

No comments: